throttling water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by willl, Apr 29, 2007.

1. willl

willl New Member

Hello everyone, Setup is I gotta pump that pumps water to several locations for irrigation. I would like to control how much water goes to each location so I would like to install some sorta throttle valve. My understanding is you cannot use gate valves for a throttle valve. Would any ball valve work. Any other better suggestions. Thanks
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Ball valves also should not be used to control flow. They should be full open or full closed. Globe valves are used to control flow.

Most irrigation control valves have a flow adjustment, and it seems this would be the best way to deal with it.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

If you throttle the water with irrigation globe or angle valves (like those from Champion or Lawnlife) you can automate the watering at some future time, by replacing the valve 'guts' with an electrically controlled actuator.
  4. willl

willl New Member

Just for knowledge reasons why is this anyhows. Even though they can throttle water it is just that overtime flow will destroy the ball, gate etc. valves making them unable to close. Thanks:D
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

irrigation

Most automatic irrigation valves have an adjustable "throttle" build into them, and those that do not can be throttled by reducing their run time, or changing the spray nozzles.