Throttling pump

Users who are viewing this thread

frankcar1965

Reaction score
I hooked my neighbor up to my well, but a couple, not all, of his irrigation stations allow the pump to almost pump the well down so that I start to loose suction. Not much, it almost keeps up but I can hear some air getting in. I don't have that problem on my side, I can run two big sprinklers and it doesn't loose suction and does not cycle either. The gauge drops to about 40psi when I am using the well, but when some of his stations are running it drops to 30 or more and I hear air entraining.
So, can I restrict the flow on his side without hurting the pump? I tried it briefly and it does not seem to need much restriction to bring the pressure up to about 40ps,i and that seems to be enough to run his sprinklers and get good throw. He is slightly downhill from me. My pump is 3/4hp 12gpm, well is 160ft deep and water level is last time it was pulled was about 60-70 ft if that makes any difference.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is actually good for a pump to throttle the flow. The lower the pressure and the higher the GPM's, the harder it is on the pump/motor. He really needs to restrict the flow with his sprinkler nozzles as I cannot believe he is getting as good of pressure to the sprinklers when you throttle at the pump.

frankcar1965

Reaction score
Ok so I can throttle back a bit, yes he going to replace and inspect his heads this week they are old and need resetting in the ground, quite a few in fact. One station I cut off completely since it seems like an open pipe. There has been no maintenance for years. I will slightly close the valve going into his system for now, he is happy for the water 'free' water for sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks