Three phase 208Y with 120V

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by LLigetfa, Nov 7, 2012.

1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Now, I'm no EE and not even an electrician but it is my understanding that on a three phase with 208V between phases, one still gets 120V to a fourth neutral. Is there any "normal" system that would give you much less, like 104V?

My furnace guy was making excuses for being a day late. He said he wasted the day before on a three phase system where the voltage was low. He said he didn't realize that a three phase 208Y would put out just 104V when split. I've never heard of such a thing. I dunno... sounds like something was jury rigged.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

240 single phase will give two 120v lines. 208 three phase is out of synch with the neutral so it gives 208 between aany two "hot" lines but 120 v to neutral. He was misdiagnosing something.
  3. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

That's just not true.