Three handle Gerber repair

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by baytree, Nov 25, 2007.

1. baytree

baytree New Member

Have an early 1970 Gerber three handle setup in the tub/shower. Want to disassemble to replace guts and clean hardware. When I pull the handles there is a second serrated handle underneath. How do I remove this part to get to the guts of the unit?
  2. smellslike$tome

smellslike$tome Plumbing Company Owner

There should only be one handle per stem associated with this faucet. Under the handle should be one of two types of escutcheons. Under this will be either the faucet stems or depending on which type of escutcheon you have there may be an escutcheon nipple threaded into the stem.

Based on your post I really have to refer you to a similar post regarding price pfister faucet repair in this same forum (shower & bathtub forum). You should seriously consider whether this is something you want to tackle.
  3. baytree

baytree New Member

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, when I removed the screw and removed the "handle" I am faced with a 1 and 1/2" diameter serrated "knob" which the handle mated to. The question is , how do I remove this "knob"? This is an early 1970 Gerber model.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

handle puller,faucet sockets,
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007