Three Dead Outlet Mystery

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by wallygater, Jun 14, 2013.

1. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

At least you could quickly determine where all of the working circuits go, which may narrow it down some. Sometimes, a good visual inspection is all it takes. If there's a broken wire somewhere in the wall, or say one that got punctured by a nail or similar, it's harder to trace. I'd first remove the wires from the load side of the GFCI, and verify that the GFCI doesn't start to work. If everything downstream from the GFCI is not working, I'd definitely start there! You never did verify that you pressed the reset (it should click going in if it is tripped), and the test button actually does something. That receptacle will NOT work if it is either defective or tripped. I had an intermittent connection that gave me fits...I isolated it as a run between two receptacles on the chain. I eventually just ended up running a new cable, since I wasn't going to tear the walls apart to find out what the problem was in between.
  2. wallygater

wallygater New Member

ok. i got rid of the GFI and put a regular outlet in that box for now. i tested the wires again and there is definatly no juice at that box or the other three.

I am going to buy the thig at HD friday.this thing

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...0#.UcEPuSvD-Cg.
    i will post the results
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. wallygater

wallygater New Member

i am being carefull, thank you
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

This is exactly what everyone who ever got hurt said. My question is a simple one, “how can one be careful doing something they know nothing about?”

I suppose all those who got blown up trying to disarm one of them explosive devices over the ocean was being careful also.

By your post you are showing that the one thing you aren’t doing is being careful so please get someone to help you before you end up hurt of dead

See what I mean? If the whole house was off except the bath circuit there is no way that one bare wire would be energized.

Now get help please before we read about you in the paper and those hungry young'uns are running around without a daddy
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I am with JW on this, time to call in a pro!
  6. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Stop testing for juice and test for voltage. Maybe that is the problem. No type of juice: apple, orange, pomegranate, hillbilly..etc... should be near the wires.
  7. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Why would you have to put another receptacle in the box, all you had to do was test the wires for voltage. If there is none at the location of this GFCI, go one device upstream of that and check there for voltage. By going one device upstream I mean go to wherever the GFCI is being fed from.
  8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I like sparking and arcing, but that was a bad Idea, for your application.

If you do not have a way to check the voltage on a wire then you should not just change parts, or stab in the dark.

The GFI is for your protection and safety.

Be careful playing with electricity.
  9. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I love being a dyed in the wool DIY guy myself, but I am going to have to side with JWElectric and others on this one. For all the time you've invested in this, not to mention buying whatever tool you are planning to buy at HD (link isn't working for me), you could probably have gotten an electrician out to the house, had the thing diagnosed, and fixed long before now.

I would bite the bullet, hold your nose, do whatever kind of thing you need to do to get over your reluctance to hire a pro, and pick up the phone.