Threaded Tub Spout Nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Spta97

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got to the point of installing fixtures in my tub / shower and found that the brass nipple I had for my tub spout was too long - well not actually too long it was perfect according to the kohler instructions, but the threads were only on the end of the pipe and the flaring of the pipe would not let me screw the spout down anymore.

Anyway, I do not have access to where it connects to the drop ear elbow so I had to install the new one blind. I put a cap on the pipe nipple along with teflon tape at the end and cranked it down until it would not go anymore. I then held the pipe with pliers and backed off the cap.

My question is, can I be fairly confident it will not leak? I had a similar situation on the shower head but had access and followed the same procedure and it was bone dry. Unfortunately, there is no access as behind the wall is the upper kitchen cabinets.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not sure what you are describing, because I do not know what the "flare in the pipe" was. But it appears that what you did was adequate, although it seems like you did it the hard way.

Spta97

Reaction score
HJ

By "flare" I meant where the threads ended on the pipe. Perhaps flare wasn't the best word but under inspection it seemed like the diameter of the pipe nipple got slightly larger after the threads ended. Had the threads gone back another 1/4" I would have been fine as there was room in the tub spout. In all my local and internet searches I was only able to find pipe nipples with the last 1/2" or so of the pipe threaded.

What is the "easy" way of doing it? I'm always up for learning!

Thanks..

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Did you add teflon tape and/or pipe dope to the threads?

Once tightened down Ive never had a pipe nipple leak if teflon and/or dope were correctly applied. I like your pipe cap idea, I usually just use pliers on the flat spot of the nipple itself, but the cap probably lets you get it even tighter.

Spta97

Reaction score
chrisexv6 - Yes, I put teflon tape on the pipe threads. Thanks, I feel better about it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks