Threaded cast iron kitchen soil stack threads gone on bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

THSS

Reaction score
What is the best way to fix a 1 1/5" cast iron fitting where a rusty galvanized nipple damaged the female threads? The threads are totally missing at the 6:00 position about 1/2 inch wide? The nipple was totally rusted through and the rust ate into the cast iron. I tried gooping it up with teflon tape and TFP (?) dope but it still leaked. Very light dribble.

I ran a tap into it to clean out the threads and it didn"t chatch any material at that position.

I'd appreciate any input. This is in a 12 unit apartment building that I own/maintain ( that's been quite a learning experience, I'll tell you! ) and I want to fix it right for myself and the next guy.

Thanks - Todd H.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The only proper way to do it is to replace the fitting.

As a side note- is it illegal in many states for an unlicensed person to perform plumbing work in a multi-family residence, even if you are the owner. This might be something to look into if you have not already.

THSS

Reaction score
thank for the reply -

What is the best way to fix a 1 1/5" cast iron fitting where a rusty galvanized nipple damaged the female threads? The threads are totally missing at the 6:00 position about 1/2 inch wide? The nipple was totally rusted through and the rust ate into the cast iron. I tried gooping it up with teflon tape and TFP (?) dope but it still leaked. Very light dribble.

I ran a tap into it to clean out the threads and it didn"t chatch any material at that position.

I'd appreciate any input. This is in a 12 unit apartment building that I own/maintain ( that's been quite a learning experience, I'll tell you! ) and I want to fix it right for myself and the next guy.

Thanks - Todd H.

Cacher_chick, thanks for the reply - I was thinking replacing the fitting was the solution - I suppose using epoxy to remake then recutting the thread is a goofy idea. Any other alternatives to replacing the fitting? I wonder if a rubber fitting can be used after the cast iron is cut out? Thanks -

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What is "1 1/5", as there is no such pipe size?

Normally on a cast iron stack one would cut out the fitting and install a no-hub fitting with no-hub banded couplers. Nothing but cast iron should be used, as under some conditions the weight of the stack above could be on the fitting. The remainder of the stack above must be supported when cutting out the existing fitting. The stack can be extremely heavy, and an accident could mean serious injury and property damage. Please think about this if you are not confident in what you are doing.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I wonder if a rubber fitting can be used after the cast iron is cut out? Thanks -

The operative word is "can". Almost anything CAN be done, but it is often not a good idea to do it. Neither is using a rubber tee inside a wall a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks