Thoughts on new DIY website...

Users who are viewing this thread

NeighborRents

Reaction score
Hi,
We are developing a new website that could be very beneficial to the DIY community and wanted to reach out to get some thoughts and feedback...

The website is www.NeighborRents.com and the idea behind it goes like this:

You might need a specific tool for a DiY project, so instead of going out and buying it brand new and then letting it sit in your garage the rest of the year, you could simply rent out that same tool from a neighbor for a few days.

You save money doing it that way, and then you don't have that tool taking up space in your garage.

On the flip side, someone might have a ton of different tools already, so why not let those tools earn some extra money for you if you are not using them...

We should be launching in the next 4-6 weeks.

I wanted to get some initial thoughts/feedback on the concept as well as any specific features you would want to see on the site...

Feel free to check us out at:
www.neighborrents.com
Facebook.com/neighborrents

Thanks!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The idea sounds good but I don't think it will be very practical.

I assume you would need to set up multiple member location/areas on the website like at the city or town level (else the tool would need to be shipped) so that really limits the amount/type/variety of tools available. IMO

Then it would need to be a cash rental process (no one is going to be able to take credit cards). So how do you prevent theft? Do you require a deposit equal to the value of the tool?

No "professional" is going to rent/lend his tools to a stranger (and probably not even to a neighbor).

And I would be concerned about someone breaking one of my expensive tools (using it wrong, dropping it, etc.) and then I'm screwed. Is there a rental contract of some sort? What happens if the renter, or owner, thinks/says the tool is broken and he didn't do it - small claims court?

I hope it works out. But I would not lend or rent my tools to a stranger.
Good luck with the site.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the other hand, next time a friend or relative asks to borrow a tool, you can ask: "debit or credit". I wish I had back all the tools I've loaned out over the years. I don't do it any more.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Why not just start a tool library? We have two of them in my county. Hand tools are free to borrow and check out to use. Late fines and broken tool fees buy new stuff and keep tools in top order.

NeighborRents

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. These are all things that came up initially as well. Payments will be secured through PayPal. It is one of the only ways an individual can receive a payment online without setting up a merchant account. If you haven't used it yet, it's great.

When listing your tool or item, you have the option to require a deposit. (You would set the amount) The deposit amount is pre-authorized when the initial transaction is approved. So if someone brings back your tool and it's broken, then you can claim the deposit up to 48 hours after the return. We would hope this is a rare occurrence though.

As for location, rentals would need to occur in the area where the person lives for an easy exchange of the tool. There will be several options available on where to make the exchange - meet at a well lit, 3rd party location, or at the person's home. We are also working on having a delivery option as well. (Ex. The renter could have the tool delivered to them by the owner for an additional $5-10 if the owner is willing to deliver it. There would be a radius limit though)

Hope this helps answer some of the questions posted here. Once the site is launched there will be easy instructions on how it works for both sides and will be easy to navigate and search.

DougB

Reaction score
Not to be a downer, but this is sorta already done - nextdoor.com It broadcasts email messages to the others who have joined. It's free.

You can join for neighborhoods. I see a lot of people asking to borrow things for a short time.

Although I hate the big box stores (like Home Depot), they have made tool renting real easy.

Flapper

Reaction score
You might need a specific tool for a DiY project, so instead of going out and buying it brand new and then letting it sit in your garage the rest of the year, you could simply rent out that same tool from a neighbor for a few days.
You return the tool after you are done using it.

NeighborRents

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing their thoughts and feedback. We just launched the site in case anyone wants to check it out. www.neighborrents.com. Since we just launched it a week ago we are working to increase the number of items listed on the site, so feel free to sign up and list a few things! We are also working to continuously improve the site. Thanks again.

NeighborRents

Reaction score
Well, I see about a dozen items but nothing to tell me WHERE they are located. Could be Hawaii for all I know.
Thanks for taking a look HJ. The items location and distance from your home zip code should be listed when doing the search. We will look into that asap... Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A hammer joke:

McGregor called his son one day and said: Son, go down to the house on the corner and ask Mr. McCristy for a hammer - I have a little project here.

Son goes and return empty handed: Father, he says he doesn't have a hammer.

Well son, then go over to the house across the street and ask Mr. McShane for a hammer.

Son goes and return empty handed saying "he doesn't have one".

Damn it son, then go to the house next to that one and ask Mr. McNolte for a hammer.

Son goes and returns without h hammer - He says he doesn't have a hammer.

OK son, then go to our garage and get our hammer, cause I got to finish this project.

Flapper

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing their thoughts and feedback. We just launched the site in case anyone wants to check it out. www.neighborrents.com. Since we just launched it a week ago we are working to increase the number of items listed on the site, so feel free to sign up and list a few things! We are also working to continuously improve the site. Thanks again.
I'd be interested to see how this turns out :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks