This may be a stupid question, but do I need to install shutoff valves for a shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrettS

Reaction score
As I posted before, I'm working on adding a shower to an existing half bath. I'm getting ready to start the rough plumbing and normally for something like this I would install shut off valves on the hot and cold water supply going to the shower... but there really isn't any place to put them that wouldn't get sealed into the wall. It's going on the first floor of a house on a slab, so I can't put them in the basement or anything. The other showers in the house either don't have shut off valves or they're inside the wall and inaccessible as well.

Do I just not install valves for this shower or do I install them and then seal them into the wall?

Thanks,
Brett

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER installed shut off valves in the lines to a tub or shower valve. If the valve has builtin integral stops, I will connect to them. As far as their utility, either the faucet can be serviced without even accessing them, or they usually are inoperative by the time they are needed. When I have to work on any tub/shower valve, it is usually easier and faster to just turn off the water supply to the building and do the repair.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The inline ones can be handy if you are doing the work yourself. But, as noted, they may not work down the line for later repairs. The integral ones, that can be purchased with the valve at extra cost can usually be accessed by removing the trim plate, but you often don't need to do that to replace the cartridge, and thus might not know they are there. But, if you are doing the work yourself, and may need to have it apart to maybe make a run to the store for parts, it's nice to be able to leave the water on for the rest of the house. Its also useful while building the shower, as you don't necessarily need the water on while tiling, or wrestling with the other remodeling stuff. It's an expense that often can be saved.

BrettS

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess no valves it is then. I'm not too worried about leaving the water in the house off while I work, and while I am confident in my ability to make the connections I figure fewer connections in the wall that could potentially leak the better:)

Actually, as a side note, this will be the first time I've used CPVC for the supply... my old house was all copper. I've done a lot of PVC though... any tips or suggestions on CPVC?

Thanks again,
Brett

Asktom

Reaction score
Any place you need threads to connect to something use one-piece transition fittings with brass threads. Plastic threads are an invitation for trouble.

BrettS

Reaction score
My one tip would be that unless the rest of the house is CPVC, I personally would not use it.

The rest of the house is CPVC, so I figured I'd go with the same thing.

Now, one more question... I believe this bathroom currently has 1/2" CPVC feeding it, since it was only a half bath to start with. Am I OK tapping into that 1/2" feed near the sink to get water for the shower or am I asking for trouble where the shower temp might change if someone flushes the toilet or turns on the sink?

The water main and the water heater are not far from this bathroom, so it wouldn't be out of the question to run the shower back there if you think it would be less than ideal to tap into the current 1/2" feed, but it would be a bit more work and a bit more drywall to repair.

Thanks again,
Brett

Last edited:

FlynHokie

Reaction score
The inline ones can be handy if you are doing the work yourself. But, as noted, they may not work down the line for later repairs. The integral ones, that can be purchased with the valve at extra cost can usually be accessed by removing the trim plate, but you often don't need to do that to replace the cartridge, and thus might not know they are there. But, if you are doing the work yourself, and may need to have it apart to maybe make a run to the store for parts, it's nice to be able to leave the water on for the rest of the house. Its also useful while building the shower, as you don't necessarily need the water on while tiling, or wrestling with the other remodeling stuff. It's an expense that often can be saved.

I installed shutoff valves to my lines to the showers, since I did the work myself, over several months...I still needed water to the rest of the house, so it was necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks