This is a stupid question but maybe you guys will know.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by joedc5, Sep 11, 2005.

1. joedc5

joedc5 New Member

Okay, I live in an apartment and they pay for utilities and of course they skimp on the water heater bill and share a heater with 5 units so it's nearly impossible to take a warm bath and every time you complain they fix it for a day and then same thing happens the next. So I decided to go an alternitive route. I do not have a jetted tub and and no PVC lines etc... but I was looking at RedHead bath tub heaters and was wondering if I can build a retro system or if there is any external water heater that is cheap and reliable and is not a water heater tank. I really want to keep that water hot and my wife does to so any help on this topic is greatly appriciated. Thanks, joe
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. They make tabletop water heaters that are 110 volt, meaning they could be plugged into a outlet. I believe a 6 or 10 gallon in those models. All 3 of the main manufacturers of water heaters make these.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

Bathtub "heaters" such as that one, do not really heat the water, but they have enough input so that they can reduce the speed that the tub cools off. Anything that would "heat" the water would probably overload your electrical circuits.
  4. getting into trouble

if you actually install something
    you mill most likely get your landlord
    ticked off at you, especially if whatever
    you rig up has any problems that might cause
    a leak or damage to his building...

proceed with cautioin if you want to stay there.