Thinset or something else to replace tiles...

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by coopns, Aug 25, 2008.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

I have four tiles (4x4) that were removed during a new spout install. The wall is a bit weak but ok. Can I use liquid nails (or something else) to adhere the tiles to the wall or should I use a thinset? I peeled some old mastic off so it is down to the surface which I am unclear as to what it is. House was built around 50's. Everything is oringinal just replummed a new spout. I am hoping to get 3-4 years out of it then she will be gutted.

Please advise.
  2. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy In the Trades

It doesn't need to be thinset. There are lots of different companies that make tile mastics in small containers. And don't tell anybody but I've used liquid nails and it's worked fine for a small patch. I probably wouldn't use it in an area that's going to be wet a lot like inside a shower just because I don't know what happens to liquid nails after months of being damp.

The problem with something like liquid nails is it gets all over, can't be removed easily and leaves ugly dark brown spots if it oozes out at all between tiles while your setting them.