Think I screwed up

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by apriorius, Jul 11, 2008.

1. apriorius

apriorius New Member

I plumbed in a garbage disposal and faucet set into my new granite counters today after waiting a day for the silicone to seal. The faucet and knob had rubber washers underneath, but the sprayer and soap pump had nothing. Following the instructions, I used a bead of plumbers putty underneath each. Now I'm reading that the putty can discolor granite. Will such a small application cause problems? If so, and I pull it immediately and replace it with clear silicone, will I be allright, or am I already screwed? :(
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If you do it ASAP youwill be okay!

Hercules Sta-Put Ultra Plumbers Putty can also be used it is Non-Staining
    Use that or Silicone RTV

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  3. apriorius

apriorius New Member

EDIT: Thanks Redwood...I was posting while you did, so I missed it. Already pulled them since I figured better safe than sorry. Glad I did!

Well, I figured the best thing to do was pull the items in question.

HOLY CRAP

The putty had already started to take the color of the stone! I wiped off the countertops and the rag was coming up stained the same color as the counters over the small area of contamination. These fixtures have been in place about eight hours tops.

I got all the puttey off with an old toothbrush, sprayed the heck out of it with 409 cleaner, and wiped the entire counter down with soapy water. Now I'm a little paranoid to even put these back in with silicone until I can figure out what will cut through any residue the putty left behind.

Man, I hope I caught this in time and there's no discoloration. Thanks for the great instructions, Kohler! :mad::mad: I supposed stained granite is BOLD, huh?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. apriorius

apriorius New Member

Check it out...page five:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1084448_2.pdf

Unbelieveable they would not mention the dangerous interaction between granite and plumbers putty, especially on a friggin $250 faucet set.

I'm not sue happy in any way, but I would have marched straight to small claims with this one.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yea the oil from the putty soaks in... You should be fine!

This type is what I use and is safe for porous materials.

[​IMG]
  6. apriorius

apriorius New Member

Thanks again...I already have some clear GE silicone II kicking around, so I'll use it instead of making another trip to the borg. Also gonna try and dig up some rubbing alcohol tonight and give it another wipedown. I am so pleased with these counters I'll be *really* upset if eight hours was enough time to leech oil to the point of staining.