"Thin" Breaker AFCI's?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by EFraelich82, Mar 30, 2010.

1. EFraelich82

EFraelich82 New Member

Do they make AFCI breakers in the "Thin Breaker" type? Can't find them anywhere on google so guessing no. Just found out about these (about 10 years late, lol) and would love to upgrade my breakers but I have those dang thin breakers. Any ideas?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Add a subpanel...
  3. EFraelich82

EFraelich82 New Member

I thought a sub panel was for adding additional breakers when your main box is full? I have plenty of extra room in my main panel, I would just like to add AFCI protection to the breakers in every room.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you have capacity, I wonder why they installed thin breakers which are normally only used when all the slots are full of standard sized ones. BUT, if you do have empty slots, just convert the thin breakers to the standard sized AFCI ones and shift the other breakers downward.
  5. EFraelich82

EFraelich82 New Member

Nice, I didn't even think that could be done. I though the entire panel was designed for thin breakers. Didn't think normal size breakers would fit. Yeah doesn't make sense to me either because I still have 5 or 6 empty slots left in the box.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I assumed you didn't have any room left...