Thick Deck Extension Kit for 1" Straight Threaded Shanks?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by sethamin, May 1, 2014.

1. sethamin

sethamin New Member

We bought a widespread faucet for our new bathroom vanity - unfortunately, the max deck thickness is a 1-5/8", and the countertop is 2" thick. I called the retailer but there's no deck extension kit for this faucet. Is there a deck extension kit from another manufacturer that would work here? The faucet has 1" shanks with straight threading. The spout has a valve that screws on to the end of the shank, so the extension would need to have a hose-style compression fitting on the end to get a sealed connection. The drilled holes in the deck are 1-1/8", so the extension would need to fit inside that.

Any ideas?

(Other than "buy a better brand of faucet with a deck extension kit")
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The kits would be "brand specific" so unless that faucet was made by a major manufacturer and rebranded, you are probably out of luck, unless you can "recess" the mounting.
  3. sethamin

sethamin New Member

The countertop is marble, so I probably could "recess" the mounting by countersinking the underside of the faucet hole with my dremel. But I'd have to notch at least 1/2" out, and the countertop is already installed so it'd be awkward. And I'd have to do that for 3 separate holes. That doesn't sound like much fun.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The marble does not have a 3/4" plywood base under it? That would be unusual.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would guess that the marble has plywood under it.
    You will need to use a hole saw and make larger holes in the wood. You can place a 2x4 over the top, and drill into that for the pilot. The marble setter should have cut the plywood out for the faucet first. But they don't always. It's a nasty job cutting the wood out after the fact.
  6. sethamin

sethamin New Member

There's no plywood underneath the marble. Perhaps that's because it has an undermount sink which sits in a "bracket" that's attached the cabinet base.