Thermostatic valve max temp

Users who are viewing this thread

kambroso

Reaction score
I've installed two Danze D560145 thermostatic valves, but can't seem to get water above ~100degF out of them. An email from their customer support implies that it's not possible, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

Here's what the manual says:
"The valve has been calibrated at the factory to provide a maximum water temperature of 105.8°F. For calibration, Danze assumes cold water supply to be 59°F +/-5°F, and hot water temperature supply to be 149°F +/-5°F."
"The installer is responsible for installing the valve and adjusting the maximum water temperature of this thermostatic valve according to instructions."

I interpreted that as the factory pre-setting the temperature dial on the valve to avoid scalding and subsequent liability, but also enabling the installer to change the max temp. My hot water heater is currently outputting ~130deg water, which I measured at the sink right next to the shower. Not very close to Danze's ideal 149, but isn't that awful high? The customer service email said that difference in the supply temp is what's keeping me from getting all the way up to the 105.8. Right now if I take off the temperature control dial (which goes up to 120) and turn the valve fully counter-clockwise, the water goes up to about 100.

I'm hoping there's a way to adjust the valve/cartridge, or maybe compatible replacement cartridges I could use. Thanks in advance for any help!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Great customer service!! Sounds like a good company to stay away from.

John

K.

Reaction score
I noticed on my valve that without the trim attached, the rotation range of the valve is 540 deg, and with it on, it is restricted to 270 deg plus an additional 90 on the hot side if you click a little button. Therefore, I think I would get a subset in the fraction 360/540 of the full temp range of the valve design, and, depending on the position of the valve when I put the trim on that subset might be to the hot side, or to the cold side. I never bothered to confirm this when installing, others may know for sure whether or not this is true.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO residential water heater should EVER be set for 149 degrees, forget the =/- part. A thermostatic valve should regulate the hot and cold water to the set temperature REGARDLESS of the incoming temperatures, although 105 degrees is so close to body temperature that it would NEVER feel anything other than warm. Danze is NOT one of my preferred faucets for ANY application.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most places, you would be required to install a tempering valve on the WH to limit the max outlet temperature (typically around 120-degrees F). Running the tank hotter does ensure things are killed in the water and extends your available hot water supply, but at an energy cost and probably tank life as well. Sometimes, they'll tap off the untempered water for things like the dishwasher or washing machine, but any tap - sink, tub, shower, etc. would get the tempered water.

The few thermostatically controlled valves I've dealt with came with a calibration routine in the instructions that allowed you to make the marked settings accurate. On the better ones, that's done at the factory, but you may need to perform that task yourself. Any decent thermostatically controlled valve should be able to adjust through the stated range, assuming you have hot enough water coming in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks