Thermostat with Remote Bulb Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The unit I have is 80K BTU, but can fire down to 16K. It's almost 95% efficient at full output, but approaches 100% at the low end. It was a fairly complicated install, and I had a big indirect WH installed, and it was over $9K. You may not recoup the increased costs, but who knows where the energy costs will go. Took a two-person team nearly 3-days to tear out and install new. There are other units that would be less, and you have to account for the indirect, and multiple systems, and zones that were installed and the large indirect wasn't cheap, either.

Raucina

Reaction score
Can you post a link or the name of that boiler? Sounds interesting.

The engineered flooring will take about any heat that doesnt cause it to smoke.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
http://www.buderus.net/OurProducts/.../ProductSpecifications/tabid/107/Default.aspx This unit is quiet - enough so that under most circumstances you can't hear it running, and has minmum clearance requirements which means you could put it in a closet in living space (although installation gets more of a pain). If you understand the term, it uses a primary/secondary loop for heat transfer. Depending on where you live, it qualifies for a good rebate (around a grand), but misses the federal credit by a few tenth's of a percent (not many meet it and I found none in the smaller output).

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in a tight spot here guys and I need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. I was turned down on a refinance of my house because I don't have all the flooring down yet. Every month that I don't refinance is like throwing $150 away. In the next two weeks I need to figure something out here.

I looked around and the only remote sensing bulb that I was able to find was with a thermostat unit included. It was about $160. I would need two of them. I'm on a tight budget right now and I don't want to pull the trigger on that. What I'd essentiall like to do is just install the remote bulbs.

Any ideas. One way or the other the floors are going down in two weeks. If I have to drill through the floor later then so be it.

Tom

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking into the price.

Thanks

Tom

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Leejospho,

Thanks I really appreciate the help. That is exactly what I needed. I was able to find the thermostats for $65 each with the sensing bulbs included. That is roughly a third of what the other units I was looking at cost.

Thank you so much. You saved me about $200. If you're ever in Michigan I'll buy you a few rounds of drinks.

Thanks

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks