Thermostat Wire (Low Voltage) Notched Into Drywall and Plastered Over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
When running a low voltage thermostat wire though a hollow wall cavity is not possible, is it okay to simply notch the drywall approx. 1/4" deep, lay the wire into this notch, and then plaster over it? The t-stat wire will be embedded in plaster.

Although I am asking specifically about an 18 gauge thermostat wire, this is a reference I found to embedding radiant heat wires in a plaster ceiling:
http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Electric-Radiant-Heating/14620

Thanks In Advance,
Bill

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Happens a lot.

The other way is to remove a larger piece of drywall. Drill through the stud. Repair the drywall.

Typically these steps are done because someone did not plan on the layout very well. Or changes where made.

I see it all the time with low voltage.

On a recent job the electrical had done this with line power 120 volt. Inspector saw the wire and hit the rood. Called up the electrical and asked him" Seriously, you called inspection with wire run like this". I found it funny.

I later learned that the electrical had not called the final but the builder did.....

In my own home I have two spots where the low voltage wire was notched over a stud. Both involved alarm wires. It's not right. But it does happen a lot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Line voltage is one thing, low voltage is another. There are FEW code issues with low voltage wiring, and you can basically do whatever you need to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks