Thermostat - Where to insert wires?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by coopns, Dec 23, 2009.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

I have am replacing a thermostat. Out of the wall, there is a red and white wire. I am not sure what to connect it to on the new thermostat.

I am not sure if I insert the wires in the top or front, then tighten the screw?

Here are some pic's. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/coopns/DSC00861.jpg and http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/coopns/DSC00866.jpg and http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/coopns/DSC00867.jpg and here is a picture of the directions http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/coopns/DSC00868.jpg
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

Red to "Rh" and white to "W" and you're good to go! Loosen the screw in front, insert the wire in the top, then re-tighten the screw. The holes on the front are for the thermostat to connect to the back plate when you snap the thermostat onto the backplate. Those should be clear. Be sure to fold the wires flat to the backplate.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. coopns

coopns New Member

Red - RH ...but should I leave the little "jumper" thing there (connecting the Rh and Rc) and stuff the wire in there beside the "jumper" thing?

I saw these "holes" in the front. I wasn't sure if I should insert the wire in there or the top.

and...

What do you mean "fold the wire flat to the back plate"?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  4. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

You feed the wires in through the back plate through the rectangular hole with rounded corners.

The wires then go into the screws the same way that jumper is insterted. The square holes on the front are for the pins on the front portion of the thermostat.

Fold the wires means have them as flush to the back plate as possible. If you have too big/bulky amount of wires when you connect then you will have a hard time getting the front part to just snap in.

Most of the time the jumper doens't get removed. If you read the instructions it will say so. Since you have only 2 wires I'm guessing this is a straight forward heating system thermostat. It gets more complex when you have A/C in the mix.
  5. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

The holes in the front are where the front part make it's connection. Look at the front half and you will see the corresponding pins.
  6. coopns

coopns New Member

I see where the front 'holes' connect with the pins. Thanks.

I think I got'er except for as I noted earlier..." should I leave the little "jumper" there (connecting the Rh and Rc) and stuff the wire in there beside the "jumper"? I don't have the directions accessible.

Almost there.

Thanks again.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Leave the jumper there.
  8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

Rh is for heat and Rc is for cool. Since you have heat only, the jumper doesn't matter at all. It won't hurt anything to leave it or take it out. Leaving it in place is just simpler is all.