thermostat on rheem needs daily resetting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Paulab, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Paulab

Paulab New Member

The reset button on my thermostat on my rheem hot water tank needs daily resetting.I guess I will replace the thermostat or is there usually some other reason for this problem.Thank you.
  2. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

replace both the upper and lower thermostats. that should solve the problem.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I would trouble shoot the water heater to determine exactly what is wrong.
    It is possible for an element shorted to ground to heat constantly on 120 volts after thr t-stat shuts off.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

reset

One or both of the elements is shorted out and causing temperature overrun. Do NOTHING until you know what needs fixing, or you will be replacing things that are not broken. In fact, a loose screw on the upper thermostat will cause the same problem.