Thermo Shower valve temp adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

cbn

Reaction score
Is it possible to override the maximum 110 degree temperature in the new
anti-scald shower valves?
We were about to purchase a Cifialo or Grohe thermo valve with integral volume control but noticed the max temp is 110...one of us in the family likes it hotter....say 118.
Or does it just make sense to buy and install a single pressure balanced volume control valve?
Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

cbn

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. I was looking at the specs earlier and understood that pressing the override button allows for adjusting the temp from the standard 100 degrees either up or down 10 degrees? But it doesn't look like the handles on either Grohe or Cifialo move past the max 110 degree marking. Hmmm.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On mine, once you're past the stop, it goes to "nearly" all hot.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. I was looking at the specs earlier and understood that pressing the override button allows for adjusting the temp from the standard 100 degrees either up or down 10 degrees? But it doesn't look like the handles on either Grohe or Cifialo move past the max 110 degree marking. Hmmm.

You can adjust the spindle to whatever temp you desire before you put the limit stop on. Just take a thermometer and run water then turn the spindle to the desired temperature, then install the handle assembly.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
I'm putting a Porcher Reprise shower valve in my bath, and it has an adjustable stop (you have to take the handle off to change it) that controls the max temp.

It has four settings - 100, 104, 109 and 112. Not sure why such granularity.

Not sure what temp these assume your hot water heater is set to, because of course the valve doesn't know what temp the water is at, it just mixes the water. So if your heater is cranked up, these temps would presumably be higher.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A thermostatically controlled valve does not care what the input water temps are...it is trying to adjust the output to what you desire. In fact, that is one of the bigger reasons to choose that type over a pressure balanced one - it will adjust the output to keep it constant as the WH is drained. Depending on the design, it can go from nearly all hot to all cold to get the desired output. The one thing it can't do is get the output colder than the incoming cold water.

cbn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information. What you said makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks