There's a hose bib before the RPZ and PRV with no backflow prevention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
I realized that if I use a garden hose on this bib, I am connecting the hose to the city water supply with no backflow protection because this bib is before the PRV and RPZ. Shouldn't there have been a backflow preventer on that hose bib? Or no hose bib at all? I would think this would have been inspected. They require us to have a licensed professional check the RPZ, why don't they inspect other stuff like this?

WjMvUMk.jpg

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
I know but how could this have happened; shouldn't they be inspecting it and stuff? It's the municipal water supply! I assume it is required, right? Or better yet there should probably not be a hose bib there. Why is there a hose bib there? It's so close to the ground, making it hard to use! I can't fit a gauge on it without using a flexible hose thing.

Flapper

Reaction score
BTW, is it a requirement to have backflow preventers on all hose bibs? None of our hose bibs have these.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking it's been there a long, long time. Backflow and antisyphon is somewhat recent. When I started plumbing, no hosebibs had antisyphon.

Flapper

Reaction score
But that assembly has an RPZ on it which the district requires to be inspected annually. Shouldn't the other parts be inspected too? Seems like a goof on their part...

Flapper

Reaction score
Why isn't a check valve allowed for backflow prevention? I would rather have a check valve than a vacuum breaker for a hose bib because those cheap vacuum breakers always spew water out repeatedly!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Check valves are UNRELIABLE, and when they go bad, there is NO INDICATION that it has happened. That is why. When a backflow preventer "spews water out" it is because it is doing EXACTLY what is is supposed to, namely, preventing the water from entering the house system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks