The worst I have seen in a long time

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Master Plumber Mark, May 27, 2007.

1. Just sitting around this Sunday morning
    the Race looks to be rained out..

going to be sitting around all day cooking braughts
    on the grill ..

thought I would post some pics of some pretty
    ugly plumbing jobs I have seen lately

please add any to this collection

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  2. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

OK......... here's what my untrained eye sees:
    Pic #1 is obvious the guy can't solder too good.
    Pic #2 I think we're looking at that "U". An expansion joint perhaps. Maybe the line on the right has a long vertical run that is expected to expand? But it looks like hose clamps on those Tee's.

How'd I do???
  3. you did ok

I cant edit that first picture, for some reason

the wirsbo pic was the wrong one...but I dont care for the new
    crimp fittings like at those tees....

I would re-post them
  4. Phil H2

Phil H2 New Member

That is a lot of extra solder running down the pipe and wall. I wouldn't be suprised if a pound or two dripped onto the ground. The copper tee on the left looks like it was taken apart and then soldered together again with the pipe less than half way into the fitting. I may live a sheltered life, but I have never seen aluminum clamps for the bonding/grounding wires. Also, I may have a sick sense of humor; the drains in the second picture made me laugh
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

I think I know that plumber, lol.:D
  6. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

You changed the pic! Now my answer makes me look retarded. :D
  7. Cookie

Cookie .

I wasn't kidding when I said, I thought I knew the plumber. He kind of had the same MO. This may make you guys proud---due to your expertise, honesty, and free knowledge you pass out, I learned enough to make him, do it over. It looked pretty much like the one photo. He asked me, " how do you know it is not done right?" I told him, from plumbers on a site, and I would be more than happy to call another plumber for a second opinion and I will post some pictures on the plumbers site, and noted to him, that they would be more than happy to tell me, if what you did was right. He grumbled alot, but, when he was done, it looked properly done.
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  8. AlwaysInHotWater

AlwaysInHotWater New Member

Okay, I'd like to know who broke into my house and took the photos! :eek:
  9. a horrible site stareing at you....

this is probably an uglier site than any-thing I have

seen floating in the bowl, or slithering along

in a sewer filled crawl space......

how would you like to see her every morning when you wake up???

[​IMG]
  10. heh...

That would be worse than having holes in my bladder.
  11. plumbing 101 whats wrong with this picture....

[​IMG]

found this on another site and had to share
  12. Rancher

Rancher Guest

I especially liked the coin operated washer in the second pic, I'm getting my wife one of those so I can have some more beer money.

Rancher
  13. Cookie

Cookie .

I don't know if that would work Rancher, my husband used to ask me after looking in his wallet, if I lightened the load so he wouldn't hurt his back, ha ha ha. A good man.
  14. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

[​IMG]
  15. Terrorist captured

recently a VERY UGLY TERRORIST was captured...

[​IMG]

how about wakeing up to her laying next to you in the morning????i Is that worse than Hillory or not???
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  16. how we plumb kitchen sinks in Indiana

Went into this repo today......

check out this picture ....Installation 2003

Installing a kitchen sink drain in indiana.
    this is OK here and passes inspection every day

no vent, no auto air vent.....
    just come up through the concrete floor with 2 inch pvc and slap it in.....

[​IMG] its sort of a bad picture , but you get the idea....
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  17. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Mark...I think it's very crude and distasteful that you keep posting pics of RUGGED's work like that.
    HA!.....juuuuussstt kidding.
    That first water heater at the top looked like "I gotta get this done before happy hour"...the drainage with a double inlet wye....where the heck can ya even buy one of those??
    The KS with no vent...it's all good as long as there's spray deoderizer nearby.
  18. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Of course, in the second picture no one noticed what is sitting next to the water heater in the lower right hand corner.
  19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my work last night. Customer called and said a toilet supply line ruptured AND the main shutoff valve was leaking profusely.

I tested the pressure, 130psi and climbing as the night went on. As soon as I looked at it I knew I was going to rework it all and remove the jumper between meter tabs since the new meter was out in the pit.

There was a high pressure PRV in the dual meter brackets in the pit that was defective for sure and I knew the only fix was a new PRV in the house. (Wrote the bill so these people get 1/2 or more of the bill covered by the water district since the high pressure PRV is their equipment, not the property owners Can't replace that PRV in the pit because I don't carry high pressure PRV's and the water district will not allow outside work in the pit)

What went "wrong" was there is a 3/4" flare to 3/4" IPS fitting that starts into that old valve that was leaking. No problem eh? I heat and remove the valve with no troubles at all, spin a 600 WOG threaded ball valve back on and wanted to take it enough revolutions to ensure no leaks.

3rd full turn and the threads snap off in the valve :eek: :confused:

I was no happy camper as we had no luck getting the water district out there last night and the only flared 3/4" connection I had was a meter 90.
    That nut against the wall doesn't move and I had nothing in the truck or at the shop to improvise as a temporary fix.

Here was the fix:

I've been soldering for years and working with copper and brass in various ways. I took that broken threaded fitting that I had to have, cleaned it up and found out that a 1/2" brass nipple would start to thread into the inside of that fitting. BINGO!!!!! I cleaned both up, fluxed and threaded that brass nipple at least 3.5 turns in....soldered it up and let the solder build a dome around where the two met. Holding 130 psi and I trust it better than a threaded connection.

Sometimes as a plumber you "have" to improvise and make things work to get the water back on. Went back today and put the expansion tank on the heater.....

The mother of the daughter who owns this property had me stop up to collect on the bill, her house has the same identical problem with water pressure. I'm set to install the same next week. $$$
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  20. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Now thats plumbing, being stuck on a job at all hours trying to get the water/heat/hot water back on.
    Nice improv Rugged.