The wall behind the tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Miggory

Reaction score
We had mold (probably from leaks in the tile around the tub). Tub and everything have been taken out. Now time to rebuild.

House built 1978.

1. A friend suggested I caulk the studs at their junctions with the (I am going to call it tar board) tar board. I did. I was reading in another thread something about Tyvek breathing in one direction. I don't know that I have Tyvek. What I have is about 1/2 inch thick, black on the side that faces into the house. The interior of it is brown stuff. The friend also suggested I paint this black tar board with enamel to further waterproof it. I did. Now, after what I've read, I am worrying that I have messed things up if it is supposed to be breathing. (This is an outside wall, the exterior of the house being stone.)

2. I am going to have a 3-piece tub surround put in. I've been told I don't need green board/cement board behind it because it's not tile with all those grout seams. Is this right?

3. The tub must be able to accomodate a 430-lb. person. I have been told that a Vikrell tub by Sterling will hold up to this - that it will hold 300 lb. per sq. inch. A good choice? Plumbers don't seem to want to install a cast iron tub because of the difficulty due to it's being so heavy and this being a remodel job ( i.e. have to get it around corners to get it into the room).

Thanks so much for any expertise anyone might share.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tyvek is installed on the OUTSIDE of the sheathing. You would not see it from the inside of the wall. I don't understand caulking anything you would see behind the shower wall. If it is an outside wall, I would insulate with the plastic-cased batts, and possibly put a 2 to 4 mill vapor barrier over that.

You do not need greenboard or backer board behind a tub surround.

Sterling(Kohler) has the Vikrell spec sheets on their web site. Check with them on the weight limits.

A cast iron tub is certainly difficult to maneuver, but it is the " top of the line" and if you want it, a reputable plumbing contractor would do it. Labor cost would be appropriate to the job.

Miggory

Reaction score
Thank-you

Thank-you, Jimbo, for sharing your expertise with me. I appreciate the information and your taking the time to help me out. This is a really useful website for people. :)

-Mig

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks