The Perfect Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Sobershea

Reaction score
I have spent the last two days browsing the posts in this forum - who knew there were so many decisions to make when purchasing a new toilet. It seems the most favored toilet is the Toto Ultramax - but to be honest, I am getting a bit confused. Here are my questions/comments

• The one-piece seems favored for looks and ease of cleaning, and parts are not hard to come by. However the one-piece doesn't come with the special coating? Is this true? Do I need the special coating?

• The tank top is not flat? Will I be able to set brushes, combs and hand-held mirror on it?

• Part of me says to get the ADA height - but I worry about it looking like a tall throne - this is for a very small bathroom. I guess I will just have to struggle with that one.
  • The SoftClose Seat - can it be replaced with a generic seat or would you need to order a replacement seat?

• Finally, is there a toilet better than the Ultramax? By better I mean toilets that have options that the Ultramax doesn't. What options will I be missing if I get the Ultramax (one-piece,round)?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The one piece design is a bit simpler, using less parts than the two piece versions.

The top of the Ultramax has a slight slope that will hold a few things.

The Plymouth has a bigger lid on the tank, and will hold more. It also comes in the comfort height. It is elongated however.

The Supreme comes in round, and has a larger tank lid than the Ultramax, standard height though.

The CEFIONTECT only comes in the elongated bowls at this time for Toto.
It's nice, but it's not a must.

One piece toilets from Toto come with nice seats.
I sell a lot of their seats for other toilets too. More than 500 a year.
Other seats will work with the Toto too. Bolt patterns and sizing are common.

Last edited:

Sobershea

Reaction score
It's nice, but a must.

Could you please elaborate why it is a must - I didn't want the elongated bowl but now am rethinking if I am missing out on a must.

TIA

Prashster

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd get an ADA height toilet. I bought one that is 'regular' height and you do notice the diff if you've ever used an ADA one. It doesn't look like a throne.

Sobershea

Reaction score
Rancher said:
And why would you not want an enlongated bowl?

Rancher

Hmmm... Guess since I've not had one I was sticking with what I knew. But tell me why would I want the elongated? :confused:

Last edited:

Sobershea

Reaction score
prashster said:
If it were me, I'd get an ADA height toilet. I bought one that is 'regular' height and you do notice the diff if you've ever used an ADA one. It doesn't look like a throne.

The bathroom is very small [10*5] and the vanity is right next to the toilet - and in my minds eye it seems if I add 1.5" to the toilet it would look out of place. Then again I suppose we would get used to the look after a bit. And it would be good for the future - my mil had one of those riser seats and I hated the look and feel - so I suppose I should be forward thinking.

Sobershea

Reaction score
Terry said:
The one piece design is a bit simpler, using less parts than the two piece versions.

The top of the Ultramax has a slight slope that will hold a few things.

The Plymouth has a bigger lid on the tank, and will hold more. It also comes in the comfort height. It is elongated however.

The Supreme comes in round, and has a larger tank lid than the Ultramax, standard height though.

It's nice, but it's not a must.

The Plymouth and Supreme are Power Gravity rather than G-Max... So, how would you prioritize the "options" available from Toto? Would the flush type be most important? Should I opt for G-Max over PG and then select a model? I've not read alot about Power Gravity..

R

Rancher

sobersgea said:
Hmmm... Guess since I've not had one I was sticking with what I knew. But tell me why would I want the elongated? :confused:

Well when I built my last house the lady at the wholesale plumbing supply said "if you have little boys, or are well endowed, then you want an enlongated bowl"... I don't have any children.

Rancher

Prashster

Reaction score
sobersgea said:
my mil had one of those riser seats and I hated the look and feel - so I suppose I should be forward thinking.

The ADA toilets don't just have riser seats. The whole base is taller. The other toilets in my house are ADA and I didn't even know it until I went to buy one for my basement - which is not ADA (and I kind of regret it).

I agree, if the seat was just taller, it can look 'geriatric'.

IMHO 1.5" on a 30" fixture won't be noticable to the eye, but will be quite noticable to your thighs...

I originally went w/ the non-ADA to a) save $$ and bkz I have a 2yr old daughter that I'm trying to potty train. But she falls in even with the lower height. ;)

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what Toto I have, but it is Black, has the "go down real slow seat" (I really think that feature is cool) and the elongated bowl. The elongated bowl was a necessity Rancher.:D

When I finally got my septic problems straightened out (which was discussed in an earlier thread) I couldn't believe this thing was a low flow toilet. You can drop a basketball in the stool, give the handle a quick push and Whooooooooosh, it's gone.

Truly Amazing!

Achutch

Reaction score
I have the ADA height Toto Drake (which looks a lot like the Ultramax, except that the Drake is 2-piece). The extra height does not in any way detract from the looks of my bathroom. I am able to store things on the tank lid as well.

My first requirement for a toilet is that it works; does the job it's supposed to do in one flush, and my Drake does that very well. My second requirement is comfort. Because I'm tall, I like the extra height and the elongated bowl, which is why I tend to use the ADA stalls at work and constantly have to adjust the chair height at my workstation because other people lower it all the way down!!

I would take into account comfort before I would looks, but that is only my personal opinion.

I have in my condo a very small half bath which has a 70 year old antique toilet in it (it's taller than today's standard height, but not as high as an ADA model). If I should ever decide to change the toilet, it would also be ADA height.

Good luck on your search.

achutch

Plumbob

Reaction score
I just wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion.

I'm a normal height person (5'9") and I do NOT like the ADA height toilets, nor does my wife. I like to have my feet on the ground while sitting on the thing. ADA is very uncomfortable to me.

On the elongated issue, I just installed an elongated in a small bathroom where the vanity is opposite the toilet. I thought it might be too cramped, but its not. Didn't make much difference at all. The elongated is nice.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My idea of the perfect toilet no longer exists...my moms! It is a round bowl, but is HUGE, so it's comfortable (you men will know what I mean...in fact, modern seats do not even fit this thing correctly!). It was installed sometime back in the 50's, and when I drained the tank in an attempt at measurment, it took 6 one gallon jugs to fill the tank to the water mark! When you flush this thing, it uses every drop of water in the tank! It has no flapper...just a half of ball/cone type stopper, which hasnt been replaced in probably 20 years, although I did install a Korky fill valve. Also, I cant imagine clogging this antique with a bowling ball! My mom is on septic and well (my well, which is spring feed) so I cant see where water waste is a problem. My question is; why cant the feds give us a choice when we're not on municipal water or sewer? If I had a choice, I'd have this old water guzzler in both bathrooms! And no, even as a kid, I cannot ever remember a clog leading to a flooded floor. In fact, I cant ever remember clogging this damn thing!

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not enough people on a well for thr MFG. to make it worth their while to make diff. toilet for people on wells.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
if you have little boys, or are well endowed, then you want an enlongated bowl

Actually, I read somewhere where the real reason for the elongated bowl and notched seat was to make it easier for those of the female persuasion to apply the giant wads of TP they use.

The well-endowed males, OTOH, will greatly appreciate the ADA height, since the seat is further from the water, if you get my drift :D . I honestly couldn't claim to be in that distinguished group, but I have an older American Standard PA Cadet that was a real waker-upper when I sat down on it in the middle of the night :eek: . The Drake is wonderful in that regard.

mcfoo

Reaction score
Another factor to consider, if you're installing it yourself. is that the one piece toilets are heavy. You wanna lug it upstairs?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks