The Maximum Performance (MaP) Test

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I actually read the MaP Test results https://www.map-testing.com/
and I must admit I'm disappointed. The "test media" as the fake poops are so delicately called, look nothing like the real-world "media" in the world I live in. Maybe they measured samples in a day-care center? I wonder what everyone else thinks of these tests?

Last edited by a moderator:

byoung149

Reaction score
The thing to remember about the MAP test is that it measures one toilet against another. I realize they don't use the real world "media" that you mention, but the test results give you a good starting point when trying to pick the right toilet for your use. At least you can narrow the field down to 2 or 3 toilets based on performance and price.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I watched my new Toto Drake in amazement a few times before I figured out why it works as well as it does, and I also understand why some of the others don't work worth a ... well, crap. We've got some pressure-assist and washdown commercial toilets at work that don't work anywhere near as well as the Drake. The MaP tests are a good starting point, perhaps, but nowhere near the finish line... if they included some "extreme media" tests, I think they'd really separate the men from the boys, so to speak.

Mark H.

Reaction score
One of the studies cited in the MaP document states, "The size of individual stools varied even more, often tenfold or more. There were no significant differences between males and females...." I'm not sure I wanted to know that.

Perhaps the MaP results are best for assessing the low end of the scale to rule out those toilets that don't perform well even with the limited size "media" they used. At the high end, there appear to be dozens of toilets that outperform the Totos, while in real life that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have to believe the researchers intended the study to be both useful and to provide an outlet for deadpan toilet humor. Some of the photographs and diagrams are hilarious, along with information on how they make the "media" (including the brand of condoms they use to wrap them), instructions on how to produce them yourself, where to buy the brown surrogate material in bulk, and even a person to contact to purchase ready-made "media."

I wonder how many orders he has received?

Cheers!

Mark H.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks