The load center game

Users who are viewing this thread

KAdams4458

Reaction score
I like the idea of a 200 amp 40 slot panel. It does not cost much more for a panel with more slots.

Then I also like having a whole house surge protector. These come in a double slot form which goes in the place of a double breaker. They might not be availible for some panels.

Then there have been "counterfeit" breakers manufactured in China which have caused problems. Watch out for that.

Might want to call around and see who makes a white panel, then go from there. Try Siemens, GE, Square D, Cutler-Hammer, etc.

Ooh. The counterfeit breakers are news to me.

Yes, the GE panel I installed a few years ago was a 40 slot, as I recall. I also like the concept of whole-house surge protection. I'll do a little hunting to see if anyone besides GE makes a white version, and I'll see which ones have the option of accepting surge protection. Thank you for the information.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'll do a little hunting to see if anyone besides GE makes a white version, and I'll see which ones have the option of accepting surge protection.
I'd stick with Square D and paint it. If this violates any NEC rules, mea culpa.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I could, I'd like to solicit the opinions of the most experienced among you - You know who you are.

I think the load center in the house is hopeless do to corrosion, and since it doesn't have much in the way of space for circuits. Besides, it would be nice if the cover was some colour other than utility grey/rust, since it will be right in the midst of living space. A few years ago, I installed a GE Powermark Gold that was white, because it's what I was given to work with. At least it was nice looking, and I can't say that I had any complaints with it. After all, anything was an improvement over the flaming Federal Pacific that it replaced. Any other 200A white ones out there that would be highly recommended?

I'm beginning to get an impression that you are trying to find enough defects to try to get the owner to pay for a new load center as a result of a house inspection.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't sub panels need 4 wires going to them since you are not supposed to bond ground and neutral again after the main panel.

Correct. This is a safety thing in case the neutral comes lose (not uncommon).

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Correct. This is a safety thing in case the neutral comes lose (not uncommon).

But that means that He/She will have to run a separate ground wire if they replace the sub panel in the garage since it appears not to have one.

This is one of the catch 22's in that the panel is "existing", but by replacing it you have to bring it up to current code rules.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks