The Floating Bathtub - a contemporary design plan using LED lights and mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
With Christmas break over it's time to get back to business. I'm excited about my newest project since the owner has agreed to allow me to try something new with his bathtub installation. I have seen over seas on some Spanish Design blogs some killer bathtub lighting designs. I want to take it one step further and make the tub appear to be floating and I plan like a magician to use smoke and mirrors - or at least mirrors.

bathroom-design-idea-kaldewei-lighted-tub.jpg

Floating Bathtub Design Photo: Source - Page

The plan is going to be simple. Design the tub (drop in tub from Kohler) to be set into a tub surround with a built in toe kick. The kick above is a contrasting colour and my plan is to set it deeper and use the mirror in lu of the wood shown. Using the mirrors against the kicks face to create the illusion that the floor tile runs right under the tub and then add a little LED lighting to create a light source and help the owners set any kind of lighting mood they wish.

The first time I used mirrors for this type of design was on a fireplace build some 5-6 years back.

contemporary-living-room.jpg

Floating Mantel, Travertine Fireplace Build Vancouver Photo: Source - Page

Back then I had little experience with LED lights and used a simple rope light for this build. Man I wish I could re-do this job one day and upgrade the lighting plan. With each job new skills are learned and refinements made to the building process. I think every builder try's to "Out-Do" his last job in a quest to constantly get better. I know I do.

The tub will be topped with a solid piece of granite or stone and the facing as yet is to be worked out. Maybe tile. Maybe drywall. Not sure.

With any tub install the design should include waterproofing up the walls some 18". This is a code required step that is often skipped by most builders and an inspection that is not required on a permitted job here in Vancouver. The bathroom we are renovating is a simple upgrade. No change of use. No fixture relocations. So we will be self inspecting this job and bending the rules a little on the tub's surround. The plan is to bring the drywall right down to the slab and create a sleek modern look.

Here are a few of the design inspiration photo's to help you visualize the finished job.

Floating Vanity with down lights Photo: Source - Page

Tub Toe Kick Photo: Source - Page

grey%2Bfloating%2Bbathtub.jpg

Photo Source

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Floor Drain for Floating Bathtub

Beautiful...where is the drain for the hammock tub?

There is a square drain directly below the floating tub. I would imagine the entire room is a wet room and a shower is just out of sight and shares the tub's floor drain location.

Worked on the framing of the tub project I'm working on today. Had a hard time deciding what height and depth to frame for the toe kick. Decided on a 6"x6" rough opening and aiming for 5"x5" finished product.

Can't wait to see the tub in and the finished look.

Better picture here showing the floor drain under the tub.

modern-black-hammock-bathtub-design-made-from-layers-of-carbon-fiber-by-Splinter-Works-sleek-bath-tub-floating-bath-tub-Homesthetics-1-7.jpg

Photo Source

Photo Source

Bathtub_4-2d777d-e1361226349231.jpg

Photo Source

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Framing for a "Floating Bath Tub Design" - Kohler Tub - Vancouver Installation

Repaired the poorly installed vapour barrier and added in new blocking. Set the bottom plate and ledger board for the new build. The sketch below is close to what I'm planning and should give you an idea of how that blocking was installed. Tub Deck to wall transitions are typically a weak location. This blocking installed as I show gives a solid continuos support around all three sides.

The trickiest parts are still to come and that is the negative framing around the faucet locations and the beefing up of the tub's underside lip for better support of the granite slab.

Tried to find any example of this floating tub detail online with no luck. I know one of my Facebook Friends in Spain has done this like three years ago and for the life of me I can not find the photo's I used as inspiration.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Adding a lighting element to a floating bathtub design

So this Kohler Drop In Tub is going in soon and I have to finish the form work for the tub deck. I powered up the LED's yesterday and must say they look ******* Amazing!!!

So Cool.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The Ultimate Floating Tub !!! Part Boat - Part Tub - Part Hot Tub

The Ultimate Floating Tub !!!
Part Boat - Part Tub - Part Hot Tub
Photo Source

OK - that is something I need, or at least would like to try for a weekend... How cool is that?

Also found this great looking tub. Very similar in design to the one I'm building.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is Vessels the World’s Coolest Bath Tub? Posted by: Nigel F. M

For those of you that do not know Nigel he is the editor at Residential Build Magazine. He just wrote an article on this amazing floating bathtub build by Vessels.....
Have a read.

Is Vessels the World’s Coolest Bath Tub?
WEDNESDAY, MAR 26 2014
Posted by: Nigel F. Maynard

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The lighting is powered by a simple RGB Remote Control. The client wants it a little dimmer and is looking into a dimmer option and perhaps a different RGB driver and remote. You can see more pictures and the remote on my blog page

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks