the distance between drain trap and vent fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by 30all, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 30all

30all New Member

I need to move kitchen drain to left along with window. Search for the codes about boring 2x4 stub in exterior wall, it seems doable. but I don't know if I need to move vent along with drain. Since I only need to move 1 or 2 feet from current spot, I may be able to get away from moving vent?

I don't want to bore 2 holes in 2x4 for both drain and vent. if I have to move vent, then I will route the drain pipe from basement and come out from floor into sink base cabinet.

Check 2 plumbing books, they says 2 different numbers. :confused:

Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

For most kitchens, the trap arm is 1.5"

the vent can be within 42" in the UPC code.
  3. 30all

30all New Member

Terry, thank you
    The 1.5" you are refering to is the size of drain and trap, not length, right?

the 42" distance is from p-trap to the vent T fitting?