The bottom outlet on a Thermostaic Shower Rough-in...

Users who are viewing this thread

JMingrone

Reaction score
I have a Kohler K-679 Thermostatic Mixing valve for my new shower. The top outlet is going through a volume control to the fixed shower head. I am also putting a handheld on the opposite adjacent wall, through another volume control.

Question:

I was originally going to tap both volume controls off the TS valve's top outlet and go to the shutoffs, but then I thought, why not use the bottom outlet for the handheld? Is there any reason not to? (I don't have a tub spout) The advantage in my installation is that I wanted the handheld EL to be mounted LOW on the adjacent wall. Coming out the bottom of the TS makes this a little easier, No?

Thanks! (First Post here!!)

-Jay

JMingrone

Reaction score
Height for Shower heads and mixing valves

Ok- basic question - is there a "standard" height for the shower head EL and the mixing valve? I was thinking maybe 44" for the valve (saw something in the MOEN literature) and about 78" for the shower EL, Is that about right?

-Thanks,

-Jay

JMingrone

Reaction score
I play wheelchair basketball - now what? ;)

Still no reply on the use of that lower oulet on my Thermostatic Valve for handshower feed. Anyone??

Thanks,

-Jay

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Only issue I could think of with using the lower outlet for a handheld shower would be that the handheld thingy might generate enough backpressure to force some water out the upper showerhead as well. I have a similar setup, but installed a separate mixer/valve on the other wall and ran both hot and cold over there.

JMingrone

Reaction score
My thermostatic valve has no volume control, (just temp) so both the main shower head and the handheld have separate in-line volume controls. But now I'm thinking if I come out the bottom, the volume control will be down too low unless I loop it up to the control and then back down to the EL for the handheld. I'll probably end up tapping both of them off the top outlet.

Thanks,

Jay

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Belt & suspenders

You could plumb a loop connecting top and bottom outlets, and take the lines to the two showerheads off the loop. Would allow a larger combined flow than taking it off the top outlet only.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks