The best way to add water service

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jbmcc1022, Dec 27, 2006.

1. jbmcc1022

jbmcc1022 New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I am new here.. hence post No. 1... I have started a detached garage and apartment 40 feet from my house. I am on well and septic. I have already installed the waste, and hooked up to the drain field. Inspection passed both building and health.

The question I am having is how to run water to the detached garage and apartment. I have some people suggesting that I hook up to my existing water in the house, and run that to the garage, and while this seems doable, I am wondering what kind of pressure I will have at the 2nd story of the garage? The other option would be run a new line from the well, however I am not sure if this would require a new well pump??

any help or suggestions would be grand..

John from VA
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Your pressure drop would be based on the length of the run, size of the pipe, and 4.4 PSI for each 10' elevation change. A relatively short run through 1" pipe would see very little pressure loss, for example.

Since I have no experience with wells, I will await suggestions from others on that.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Oct 20, 2005
    New Hampshire
    There is immense value is simplicity. One pipe beats a pump, tank, controls, and power like a straight flush beats a pair.
  5. jbmcc1022

jbmcc1022 New Member

Dec 27, 2006

Bob, you are so right. That is the way I would like to proceed, however I fear the low pressue. I already have low pressure two floors up in the main house.

Any suggestions on how to raise the pressure? New pressure vessel?