Testing 220V with multimeter. What should the meter read?

Users who are viewing this thread

TXTom

Reaction score
I am troubleshooting problems with a new booster pump that I installed at my house. Here is my post from the "Pump/Well Board":
I just installed a storage tank and booster pump at my house. The booster pump won't run. I need some wiring help. I am using a standard pressure switch to control the booster. There is no pressure on the system so the contacts on the switch are closed. I have a 20amp double pole breaker that I am using to power the pump. The pressure switch is connected to the breaker with a red and black wire and ground. The pump is wired to the pressure switch with a red and black wire and ground. The terminals on the switch are wired so that the contacts complete the red/red and black/black connections. The booster pump is a Goulds GB. It is wired for high voltage from the factory. I connected the red and black wires to terminals 1 and 4 as shown on the motor's diagram. The ground is connected to the green terminal. Why won't my pump start?

More: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16322

Thanks,

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I checked the voltage from ground to the terminals and I get 125V on each terminal. I have a feeling one of the Legs is not working, but I thought that maybe each would add together to make 250V. Am I wrong?

Tom
Not if you are using a two pole breaker. Could be wrong if using two single pole breakers.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Testing 220V with multimeter. What should the meter read?
Not meaning to sound harsh or like a smarty but if you are testing for voltage on a 22o volt circuit you should read 220 volts when checking leg to leg.

Check for voltage on both the load and line side of the pressure switch and at motor.
Make sure that if the motor has an internal overload that the reset button is set.

Last edited:

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
L1 to L2 220 nominal,
L1 to ground 110 nominal
L2 to ground 110 nominal

Check this at the circuit breaker load terminals.
Check this at the line terminals of the pressure switch
Check this at the load terminals of the pressure switch
Check this at the motor terminals.
Check voltage across the contacts (L1 line to L1 load, L2 line to L2 load) of the pressure switch you should have "0" volts, if the contacts are closed.

If you have 110 and 220 as noted above then you have a wiring issue at the pump or a defective pump or you smoked the pump.

TXTom

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am using a double pole 20A breaker. I will check my readings again. I believe I was reading 0 volts across L1/L2. I will check it again.

Thanks,

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is a poor connection somewhere. In that case a sensitive voltmeter would show the proper voltage, but the actual voltage would drop to zero under load. In your case, though, there's always a load on the circuit because the switch is closed (assuming the motor is actually wired properly and connected). Be sure to let us know what you eventually find.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
voltage

IF the pump is in the "run" position when you check voltage at the circuit breaker, one leg could be dead but you would still have 120v backfeed from the leg that is working. Unless you have 220/240 across the breaker, you do not have any power.

TXTom

Reaction score
It was a bad breaker. The breaker was new, but one leg was dead. Thanks for the tips. Knowing what the voltage readings should be for the 220 was very helpful.

Tom

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It may be possible depending on the type of panel and CB style that you are not on two separate lines, with some of the old SLIM LINE styles it was possible to have both poles on L1 or L2.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may be possible depending on the type of panel and CB style that you are not on two separate lines, with some of the old SLIM LINE styles it was possible to have both poles on L1 or L2.

Sounds that way.... they're called piggy-back, half-inch, half-size, tandem breakers. But they don't give you 240volts as they only sttach to one (120v) buss bar in the panel. You will get 120volts to ground on each wire, but not 240 between them as it is the same 120 volt source.

TXTom

Reaction score
Thanks- But it was a bad breaker. I replaced the breaker in the exact same slots and everything is peachy...... Voltage at the bad breaker was 125V to ground on one pole, and 17V to ground on the other. Voltage across the poles was 107V. New Breaker voltage is 250V across the poles.

Thanks,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks