Test for salt/sodium levels in water

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by mrmichaeljmoore, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mrmichaeljmoore

mrmichaeljmoore New Member

Quick question....

Is there a test a homeowner can do to check sodium/salt levels in the water?
    Sometimes it seems there is a salty aftertaste to my water....

mm
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

A softener does not add salt to the water. They add sodium at the rate of 7.85 mg/l per grain per gallon of ion exchange. And if you read some food label to compare that amount to the sodium found in most foods and all waters, you'll usually find that isn't isn't enough to be concerned about.

Let's say you have 15 gpg hard water, * 7.85 = 117.75 mg per a quart+ is less than the sodium content in a slice of white bread. Serving sizes of many foods have much more sodium than a slice of white bread.
  3. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

No. If you can taste it, however, it would be prudent to have your water tested as the concentration likely exceeds 200 mg/L. As I recall you are on a well. If the sodium levels are found to be high it could be naturally occuring or it could from one of several sources, such as a malfunctioning softner, road salt, or sewage effluent.
  4. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

You can use a hydrometer, which can be found at a pet store that deals with salt water fish and such.
  5. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

200 mg/L would change the specific gravity by 0.0002. I may be wrong, but I thought those pet store hydrometers had 0.001 gradations. Even if you could, you still wouldn't know what you had x mg/L of.
  6. mrmichaeljmoore

Previous water tests

I have two tests done on my well water since I've been in the house.

First test 5/21/2003
    Sodium level: 236.4 mg/L

Second test 2/6/2007
    Sodium level: 51.1 mg/L

The first test was with my old softener unit.
    The second test was with my new (and current) sofetner unit, installed in March 2006.

According to the water report, the sodium level should be under 28mg/L.

thanks.
    mm
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

So buy an RO or distiller, or bottled water.
  8. mrmichaeljmoore

I guess I should have been more clear when I posted my sodium levels. Sorry.

Are those levels high enough that they would impact taste in the water, adding a salty taste?
    And, are the raised levels as a result of the water softener? And if they are as a result of the softener, is it a normal by product of the softener or is something malfunctioning?

thanks.
    mm