Terrible hot water pressure in showers...

Users who are viewing this thread

mistamista2000

Reaction score
In 2 upstairs bathroom showers my hot water pressure is really bad. The cold water pressure is fine. I was due for a new hot water heater and just had it installed. No improvement although I know longer have the white particles (I believe from a deteriorating dip tube) clogging up my faucets. Even when I remove the shower head there is very minimum water flow. I had both bathrooms remodelled about 3 years ago and all copper pipeing was changed out. The sink hot water pressure appears to be fine in both bathrooms. Does this sound like a clog in the hot water pipes and if so how would I clear it?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A clog in the pipes in not so likely as a clog in the shower valves. If you had that did tube thing going on, those little flakes may be inside your shower cartridge, and the balance spool if you have that type. I would remove the shower cartridge and probably just replace it to start and see what happens.

mistamista2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...I believe that I can gain access to the shower valve through a opening in my closet. Is this something thats fairly easy or do I need to hire a plummer to get it done?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On most of them, you remove the handle, then remove the trim plate. Usually, there is a cap you pry off to expose the screw to remove the handle. The cartridge is under there. The means of removal depends on the brand and model.

mistamista2000

Reaction score
I checked and there is no way that I can get to the shower valve without cutting my wall and tile out. Is there anything else I can do to remove the clog?

mistamista2000

Reaction score
To be honest I'm not quite sure...I did a Google search and I found photo's of what a shower valve looks like. I removed a piece of paneling from my closet and its not visible from there. My master bath and bedroom bath stand side by side. I guess after spending $850 on a new hot water heater I'm looking for an easy cheap route to solving my problem. If no other alternative I guess I'll hire a plumber.

mistamista2000

Reaction score
After doing some research I beleve that like you all said the Moen PosiTemp cartridges in both bathrooms are clogged...One alot more than the other with pieces of the PVC piping. I had to find what some of these terms were before answering back.

I took the handle apart and removed the brass horseshoe clip but the cartridge will still not pull out, even when pulling with locking pliers. I called Moen and they will send me out a new one but in the meantime trying to clean and lube this one to see if it helps. Any ideas on how to remove this thing?

mistamista2000

Reaction score
Flushed the rest of the old dip tube out, changed the cartridge, and put a new shower head on and all is great. Thanks alot for all the advice given. What a great forum...I'm sure it would have cost my first born for a plumber to come out and fix it.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Good job. I've been wondering if, in these days of cartridge valves with close tolerances, some difficult to flush, if it would pay to put fine-mesh screen filters in the cold and hot water lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks