Terminating a Fence at a Building

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Lakee911, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

How do I end a fence at a building? I would think that my options are as follows:

* Only attach the last post to the building and don't bury the bottom of it.

* Put it in the ground only right next to the building? I'm concerned about putting the post in backfill that may have not completely settled and after some time the post (and fence section) will be all caddy wompus.

* Bury it and attach it. Will frost heave affect the building connection?

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

#2 Bury it right next to the building....
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are using wood..., and using the electrical analogy.....you must not
    "short circuit" the structure to the ground with a fence post. Meaning a post in the ground cannot be bolted to the side of the house, as this provides a termite path.
  4. Lakee911

lol ... good one, jimbo.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

termites

As if termites need a "path". They are like Daniel Boone so they do a lot of trailblazing to find wood on their own.
  6. Lakee911

My area is very prone to termites. I guess word on the street was that before I lived there, before it was subdivided, before it was Columbus Sewer Pipe Co., it was an apple orchard rumoured to be planted by Johnny Appleseed. Someone told me that they were prone to termites. Dunno. I can only verify that they mined the clay from the ravines for clay tile and later clay bricks. Can't verify the apple orchards.... but anywho...

My house had an infestation in the late 70s although it seemed to be quickly controlled and those buggers haven't been around that I've seen since.

Unfortunately the pesticides that they used back then (which I'm sure are illegal now) are probably old enough that they are no longer effective.

I wouldn't mind treating the house again for peace of mind, but I don't want to pay someone big bucks, nor do I want to drop a load of cash on some sub-par watered down homeowner bottle of what might as well be grape juice. What happened to the good stuff? :(
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

termites

What happened to the "good stuff". Ask Rachel Carlson and the EPA.
  8. Agu

Agu New Member

Depends on which part of the house the fence is terminated. Had a backyard fence where one end was at the garage and the other end was at living space. Bolted the post to the garage wall but put a post at the terminus at the living space. If the gate/wind/earthquake rattled the garage I didn't care, but I didn't want it rattling the windows of my bedroom.

Just another perspective.....;)
  9. Lakee911

Good point ... sleep through an earthquake. :)
  10. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Skip the fence. Build a wall.

Actually, forget that. Build two walls and a roof. Then install two doors. And enjoy the walk from the house to the garage on those long, cold, wet days.
  11. Lakee911

Need a good foundation for that too...

there is a guy around here who just keeps on building...his detached garage is now connected to his house by way of overhead enclosed walkway. Quite frankly the whole place is a mess....
  12. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

How about a pool? Swim to the car.