Terminate AAV in attic space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbletown

Reaction score
I am in the process of a small (tiny 3x5) 1/2 bath remodel. I have it to the studs. Previous waste line had no vent. I cut the old PVC out and now am diagramming my waste run. The waste line will run into a basement and tie into the main cast iron drain at 30'. Please keep in mind that this was originally a 8' closet that was divided in half to allow for the 1/2" bath so no original plumbing was done to this location.

I'm now trying to determine where to run the vent for the waste line. I'm going from 3" DWV to 2" for the vent. The plan is to run 2" PVC up a wall along the run. The wall is only 16" from where the toilet flange will drop into the basement. The run will terminate in the attic in the front of the house. I understand I could 45 toward the rear of the house and up through the roof but don't really want to have any bends in the vent line.

Can you terminate an AAV in an attic space for a waste line? The full bath already has 2" CU through the roof, but this run won't meet that run until it meets the main cast iron drain on the wall. I'm in NYS. Any input appreciated.

Bobbletown

Reaction score
Here are a few pics
IMG_6199.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6201.JPG

IMG_6202.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

These are the correct typd of couplings. The metal keeps the pipes in line. The rubber couplings you have used are already distorting.
You can use bends on the vent line and an AAV in the attic as long as you also have one through the roof for the home.
An AAV will need replacement over time, so consider that. A vent through the roof is forever.

Bobbletown

Reaction score
These are the correct typd of couplings. The metal keeps the pipes in line. The rubber couplings you have used are already distorting.
You can use bends on the vent line and an AAV in the attic as long as you also have one through the roof for the home.
An AAV will need replacement over time, so consider that. A vent through the roof is forever.

I haven't touched that wye yet. It was original to the 1/2 bath install. I knew I had to go FERNCO for those fittings but wasn't sure on sizing of the copper and cast iron pipes. copper to PVC then PVC to cast iron. I also tried to lift the main copper pipe from the PVC wye and that SOB doesn't budge one bit! Any ideas there? 2x4 on a jack to lift it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once you remove the band clamps, you should be able to slide or fold the rubber fitting. For the correct ones, you'd take off the metal band as well, then you can fold the coupling back upon itself once you have it on one half of the two pipes you are trying to connect. Once you line them back up, you fold it back out over the other pipe then reinstall the banding and clamps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks