Temptrol shower leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Baker879

Reaction score
I have a symmons temptrol single handle (Shower only) which developed a drip from the showerhead some time ago. Pushing the "flow control" lever all the way right does not stop the drip.

I called a liscenced plumber to come replace the seals/cartridge(?), when I turned the water supply back on, the showerhead leaked worse! He says the problem is the diverter/flow control thing and that if the diverter goes bad you have to replace the entire assembly. I am very skeptical something didn't go wrong when he replaced the seals and that he should try again.

In my mind, if the hot/cold knob can't shut off the water then the problem is the seals, not the flow control.

the Symmons unit is 7 years old and we have very hard water. I am not a plumber. The plumber is coming back tomorrow (Sunday) what questions should I ask, or what proof can I get that the entire thing needs to be replaced? thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Which Symmons valve do you have? Some operate using the hot/cold knob for temperature and the "diverter" handle to control flow from off to full flow. But in any case, you seldom have to "replace the valve" when any component fails, unless the valve is so old that the parts are obsolete.

Baker879

Reaction score
Success. The plumber came back this morning armed with parts, he replaced the "hot washer" and that did the trick. The old washer was not visibly deteriorated, but no more drip now. Thanks to all who read and the reply. Baker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks