Temporary fix for ball valve leaking since handle sheared off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boogiemom

Reaction score
The handle on the plastic ball valve that is the cold water shut off for the bathtub sheared off somehow. It is leaking through the o ring that is now exposed. I discovered this when the kitchen ceiling underneath the hall bath showed signs of a leak. The leak was from the valve. The handle appeared to be just sitting there and when I touched it, just came apart/fell off.

Any temporary solutions so I don't have get up every five hours to empty the cup that is catching the drip? It is a small space so size of container is limited.

How concerned do I have to be that this will turn into a giant flood/catastrophic failure of the o ring? I am afraid to leave the house.

Any ideas what brand or type of ball valve to use so this does not happen again? It is only about 2 1/2 years old. I had to have all copper pipe removed and entire house repiped with cpvc due to repeated pin hole leaks.

I am concerned because I now don't trust the rest of the plumbing or ball valves.

And I am tired of repairing that kitchen ceiling.

I called the plumber and hope to hear from him bright and early Monday morning.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you cut off a plastic bleach bottle or big plastic water jug, you can cut the height to maximize the available space to catch your drips.

You might consider turning off the water for the whole house while you sleep.

I don't have any suggestions for your longer term. Good luck.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be turning off the water somewhere upstream of the fixture, which in some houses might mean the main water shut-off.

Even if you have acidic water, I would think that a good bronze or stainless steel ball valve would last for many years.

Boogiemom

Reaction score
I would be turning off the water somewhere upstream of the fixture, which in some houses might mean the main water shut-off.

Even if you have acidic water, I would think that a good bronze or stainless steel ball valve would last for many years.

Unfortunately in this house that would mean the main water shut off. I will shut it off tonight or if we leave the house.

Can you mix a metal valve with cpvc piping?

Would you replace all the ball valves? I really have no idea why this one just failed. Looks like there is a metal pin in there. I am not sure if the plastic just failed or the metal pin holding it together failed.

I am on the public water supply and as far as I know, I am the only one with these problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pinhole leaks in copper carrying city water? That sounds really weird.

Valve falling apart when you weren't even trying to turn it... also weird. Any chance it froze? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask. You might want to identify the failed valve.

Anyway,I would try a pressure gauge on your water. Get one that remembers the peak pressure. Now it seems incredible that your pressure would be so high as to cause the kind of problems you have had, but those gauges are cheap enough. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-Plastic-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-DP-IWTG/100175467
IWTG.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Unfortunately in this house that would mean the main water shut off. I will shut it off tonight or if we leave the house.

Can you mix a metal valve with cpvc piping?

I am on the public water supply and as far as I know, I am the only one with these problems.

It is awfully strange that a municipal water supply would not be treated at the source. If you have not, you should consider having your water tested by someone who is not trying to sell you anything.

We use bronze/brass/stainless valves and fittings with all kinds of pipe. It is a little additional work to install, but I have yet to see a "good" plastic valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks