Template Assisted Crystals (TAC) Water Softeners

Users who are viewing this thread

OC Resident

Reaction score
Newbie here and I plan to install a GAC backwashing system and a water softening system. I was wondering what the experts think about about TAC water softeners which I understand do no require salt. Do they perform as well as the salt-based water softeners? I did a board search and didn't find much discussion about this.

Also, our local water district uses chloramines to treat the water. I was researching online, I read somewhere that a Centaur filter is the only one that removes chloramines - is this accurate? If so, is this the only one I should consider?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Please don't use "water softener" and tac in the same sentence. I sell massive quantities of them and I will be honest. I don't know one guy in the industry who has one at their own house. It is one of the questions I ask during the green technologies section of my seminars. Still no one in the past three years. They can be somewhat effective, sometimes. In general I recommend against them unless the customer hates soft water or are unable to do the salt, or are in a brine restricted area.

OC Resident

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the first part of my question - what about the Centaur filter? Is this the best filter to use in areas where the water is treated with chloramine?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Just about any catalytic type of carbon will do well with Chloramine, contact time is key to its effectiveness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks