Temperature Pressure Relief Valve (TPR) re-location?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Wallijonn, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Wallijonn

Wallijonn Member

Is it possible to re-locate the temp/pressure valve from the side to the top? I like the Kenmore/A.O. Smith WHs but they have the pressure relief valve on the side. One of the features on a WH that I am interested in is minimal lime buildup within the WH. (To that end I am thinking of installing two sediment filters in line with a third charcoal filter before going to the WH.) My present WH is probably a Rheems and while the TPR is located at the top of the unit it also has what looks like a hex head bolt head on the side, perhaps suggesting that the TPR can be re-positioned. Can that be done on the Kenmores?