Telltale Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recently failed a gas piping inspection in Seattle. I had moved a branch on an existing system and had installed a ball valve in order to isolate the extension and test only that portion. I and everyone I know has done this a million times. The inspection report said to install a Telltale tee which I, nor anyone I know and talked to, knew what that was. My best guess was to install a tee after the valve with a valve on each port of the tee. I left the supply side and the new install valves off to control the gas and the test while leaving the third valve open.. I guess this is intended to keep a failed valve used in a test from adding outside air into a gas system. I had the system inspected again, but this time I was there and of course I get a different inspector who I know and he doesn't even glance at it and we ended up talking about something else and forgot to ask about the Telltale.

Anyone ever heard of this? Is this common in other jurisdictions?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH Wow.. coming on my 6th yr anniversary joining and asking this question.

The Tale of the Telltale Tee. A work in one part and several fittings.
Telltale Tee.png

Fitter30

Reaction score
If you had a valve at existing equipment and new don't understand why it failed. In st. Louis they checked beyond the shut off valve on a piece of equipment.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wasn't testing the existing piping. I only tested what I installed new.

So say you're retrofitting in a condo.. access becomes problematic at best.. like the time I blew the diaphragm of a 3" gas meter and the utility wanted to inspect every inch of the system before agreeing to turn the meter back on.. without notice 72hrs in advance that isn't happening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks