Teflon tape & copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by hans_idle, Jan 20, 2008.

1. hans_idle

hans_idle New Member

I am replacing most of the plumbing in my masterbath for a remodel. Today I ran new 1/2" supply lines through the joists (using existing holes from previous plumbing) and then up through the floor under the sinks. I used 1/2" O.D x 1/2" IPS ball valves on top of the supply lines. There are 4 of them. I chose these valves rather than sweat valves for a number of reasons, ease of installation being one of them. The supply lines are topped with 1/2" male threads.

When I screwed the valves onto the supply lines, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape a couple of times. After screwing on the valves, I turned the water on and checked for leaks. I tighted hand-tight to start with. After seeing a few drops of water, I tighted each valve another 1/4 turn, and then repeated the process until the water stopped.

What surprised me is the amount I had to tighten the valves. I really had to make them tight (used a 10" crescent wrench). The last time I did plumbing work was over 10 years ago, but I don't recall having to tighten so hard.

Do I need to use more teflon tape, or did I maybe buy inferior products? Or was it because I was using a 10" wrench and it just FELT hard?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's because you are weaker now.

Just kidding. You might have forgotten.
    I think I would have been doing about 3 wraps and cranking the crud out of them. Then I would have felt good about it.
  3. hans_idle

hans_idle New Member

LOL. Yes, that could be the case.

I'll remember 3 wraps for next time. They seem to be holding, at least in the off position.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If they aren't leaking they should be fine.
    I've also just rubbed a bar of soap on the threads and tightened down too.
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I hate threaded connections. I use Teflon tape, plus some of the messiest blue goo I've ever seen -- rated for water, steam, and probably nuclear waste -- tightened to 36.8 ft-lb (approximately) , and never had a leak.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I use the "Belt and Suspenders" method just like Mikey! I wrap the threads with teflon tape then apply Megaloc over the threads. That would be the goop he speaks of! A little bigger wrench would not be a bad idea!
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

I have not used IPS valves except for the occassional replacement for decades, but even then I never used a 10" Crescent wrench. 12" was the minimum size. And the sealer was pipe joint compound, not tape.