tapping noise in main water line

Users who are viewing this thread

ldani

Reaction score
I have noticed over the past few weeks a tapping noise which seems to be in the main water line. I can hear it upstairs in the bathrooms, but when I checked in the crawlspace it is definitely coming from the main water supply line. It is pretty consistent - I don't know if this is my imagination, but it seems to stop briefly when I flush the toilet in one of the bathrooms. Any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tap

It is more than likely the sound of your water meter running. If it is happening constantly, then you have a leak somewhere. It "stops" when you flush the tiolet because it is running faster and the sound of the toilet covers the meter noise.

ldani

Reaction score
tap

I did some further investigation in the crawlspace and when I put my hand on the waterline I could actually feel a little vibration with the noise. Sounds like I must have a leak somewhere. It is almost constant but there are random times when it doesn't make the noise.
Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks