Tapping into a natural gas black pipe line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jar546, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

You gotta love some homeowners: Low pressure water line to run a gas appliance by feeding natural gas to a propane unit. Love how they run the low pressure plastic line near the base of the hot water heater burn chamber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That is pretty freaky.

I saw a television show on some of the HD channels the other night that showed industrial gas explosions.
    One was a recent incident in Tacoma that I felt as I was eating lunch in a restaurant about a mile away from the explosion. The lights flickered and the ground shook. My first thought was an earthquake.
    A large propane tank had gone off,
    The driver of the tanker died from burns and several others were seriously injured.

Video here

Story here
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

And you guys all laugh at my duc tape helmet. Well who's laughing now? :D
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

next:

http://www.ramonasentinel.com/

Just happend on last Thursday. They have identified the dead man, but have not established why he was in the house. May have been stealing copper. Or maybe installing a new gas appliance@!

Note that the garage door is some 30 feet down the driveway near the street. All the windows on both floors blown out, even before the fire destroyed the house totally.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

helmet

You might want to make your helmet out of aluminum reflective tape.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'm wondering if they make Kevlar reinforced duct tape...
    A few more of these DIYer gas threads should put NH Master over the top...
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

No, I kinda like the alien voices. They keep me company.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gas line

Once you see it, you are almost obligated to terminate it or contact the gas company so they can inspect it.