Tapping into 4" drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by locus123, Mar 13, 2012.

1. locus123

locus123 New Member

Is there any kind of special fitting out there for literally tapping into a 4" drain? It's ABS, running in a side wall in the basement, almost completely surrounded by spray foam - there is about 1/3 of the pipe still visible on the top. It runs horizontal on the wall for about 15' right past where I'd like to put a sink. I'd almost need some kind of screw in fitting and I don't think they exist.

I know it's possible to carve out all the spray foam, but i was hoping there woudl be a simpler solution. I'm sure some hillbilly out there has drilled a hole in a drain pipe and jammed a 1.5" drain in it before. :)
  2. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

yep, i'm sure they have, and then come looking here for answers on how to repair it the correct way. it's only foam. cut around it, insert the proper fitting.
  3. plumdum

plumdum Plumber

hey, goof. it's an easy fix if you know the right hillbilly.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Probably the simplest way to make this connection is to clear a bit of the foam away, then cut a piece out of the pipe. Use a no-hub connector on one side of the cut and a regular coupler on the other. In between a couple of short pieces of pipe and a tee. You can't just tap in as you hoped.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

More then likely, you will need a 2" line, and a fitting with a 45 angle on it.
    You can't just drop waste into the line and expect it to go anywhere.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There is a lot more to connecting a sink to a main drain line, than just "screwing the pipe to it".
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. locus123

locus123 New Member

Thanks guys, I figured as much - I'll start digging. It shouldn't need a vent as the sink will be about 3' away from the drain.

To be honest I expected more backlash than that. :)
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

And you will need a vent on the sink.
  9. locus123

locus123 New Member

Thanks Terry - mixed up my horizontal and vertical stacks. Vent needed too....