Tapping into 4" drain

Users who are viewing this thread

locus123

Reaction score
Is there any kind of special fitting out there for literally tapping into a 4" drain? It's ABS, running in a side wall in the basement, almost completely surrounded by spray foam - there is about 1/3 of the pipe still visible on the top. It runs horizontal on the wall for about 15' right past where I'd like to put a sink. I'd almost need some kind of screw in fitting and I don't think they exist.

I know it's possible to carve out all the spray foam, but i was hoping there woudl be a simpler solution. I'm sure some hillbilly out there has drilled a hole in a drain pipe and jammed a 1.5" drain in it before. :)

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
yep, i'm sure they have, and then come looking here for answers on how to repair it the correct way. it's only foam. cut around it, insert the proper fitting.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably the simplest way to make this connection is to clear a bit of the foam away, then cut a piece out of the pipe. Use a no-hub connector on one side of the cut and a regular coupler on the other. In between a couple of short pieces of pipe and a tee. You can't just tap in as you hoped.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
More then likely, you will need a 2" line, and a fitting with a 45 angle on it.
You can't just drop waste into the line and expect it to go anywhere.

locus123

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I figured as much - I'll start digging. It shouldn't need a vent as the sink will be about 3' away from the drain.

To be honest I expected more backlash than that. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks