tapping a steam boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

dsorkin

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old steam boiler that I want to install an electronic Low Water Cut Off into. Unfortunately there is no opening in the side of the boiler where the probe can go. The probe requires a 3/4" NPT tap which would require a 29/32" hole. I imagine I can carefully drill the hole in the side of one of the sections and then cut the threads. What type of drill bit should be used to do this? I know I would use cutting oil to keep it from building up heat while drilling. Should it be drilled in increments of increasing size? Not sure if this is a terrible idea or if there are alternatives to get my LWCO installed with some kind of remote setup.

The boiler is a 120,000 BTU natural gas Sears / Dunkirk that I believe was manufactured in 1979. Serial Number 7911104.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
David Sorkin

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If it is a steam boiler there should be a gauge glass. You can install a tee in the lower tapping for the glass and install your probe in it.

John

dsorkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply John. I had also thought of doing that but wasn't sure if it would be safe enough. Do you know if that is a recognized installation method or if there was ever an inspector in my house they would get a good laugh at my expense from it? I like this idea because besides not having to drill a hole in the boiler it would also allow me to easily change the height of the probe if I need to make adjustments.

Thanks!

Here are some pictures, note probe in lower right of photo.

2010-06-02_232547.JPG

2010-06-02_232624.JPG

Last edited:

dsorkin

Reaction score
Follow up - I spoke with Hydrolevel (manufacturer of the LWCO) and they confirm the installation of the probe into the riser pipe.

Many thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks