Taping uneven butt joints!

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by sting88, Jun 17, 2009.

1. sting88

sting88 New Member

If I have a drywall butt joint with one side clearly much lower than the other like in the photo, how do I begin?

Should I try to bring the low side level with some joint compound before taping so that the tape goes on flat?

Or tape right away? The tape will end up like a "stair," though with a big edge!

Attached Files:

2. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

If the small piece of drywall is much lower remove it & shim it until it is level with the existing drywall
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Your are asking the same question you posed yesterday in another section of this forum. The answer will not change. You are using the wrong material both in the type and thickness.
  4. sting88

sting88 New Member

Clarification

This is NOT around the tub - around the tub I have waterproof Denshield. Where we're looking is on the wall where the toilet will go, thus regular drywall should be fine. The drywall I'm connecting up to IS ALSO 1/2". It matches for the MOST part - it's only 1 corner that is low for some reason - this is a really old house with everything not square, not plumb.

So, I'm asking how to deal with that ONE corner. Bring it level with compound, then tape or tape straight off, or try to shim under only under that one corner to even out the drywall?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd try to shim that corner.
  6. Agu

Agu New Member

You can skim coat that corner as long as you do it in several coats. Bigger problem is, if you have to ask the question you're going to have a heck of a time making those butt joints look good.

jmo,
  7. AZ Contractor

AZ Contractor In the Trades

Either tape it first and fill later or shim it from behind and tape flat.