Taping uneven butt joints!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sting88

Reaction score
If I have a drywall butt joint with one side clearly much lower than the other like in the photo, how do I begin?

Should I try to bring the low side level with some joint compound before taping so that the tape goes on flat?

Or tape right away? The tape will end up like a "stair," though with a big edge!

Attachments

• P1140764.jpg
    P1140764.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 8,701

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your are asking the same question you posed yesterday in another section of this forum. The answer will not change. You are using the wrong material both in the type and thickness.

Sting88

Reaction score
Clarification

This is NOT around the tub - around the tub I have waterproof Denshield. Where we're looking is on the wall where the toilet will go, thus regular drywall should be fine. The drywall I'm connecting up to IS ALSO 1/2". It matches for the MOST part - it's only 1 corner that is low for some reason - this is a really old house with everything not square, not plumb.

So, I'm asking how to deal with that ONE corner. Bring it level with compound, then tape or tape straight off, or try to shim under only under that one corner to even out the drywall?

Agu

Reaction score
You can skim coat that corner as long as you do it in several coats. Bigger problem is, if you have to ask the question you're going to have a heck of a time making those butt joints look good.

jmo,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks