Tape / dope on braided supply lines?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DavidTu, Oct 1, 2011.

1. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

I thought I'd seen on the forum to NOT put pipe dope and/or plumbers tape on braided supply line connections... but now I don't find the reference. In any case... do these connections take dope or tape? My faucet instructions call for it but I've installed them w/o leaks and without tape or dope previously.

What is best practice on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Information Technology
    Many of the braided hoses now have O-ring seals and as such don't need to be doped. If they use a metal to metal seal, a little pipe dope is fine but I would never use tape. IMHO tape is for sealing threads and on those hoses the threads don't do the sealing.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Foam/Fireproofing/Acoustical
    If it's a compression fitting, you don't use tape or dope.

The compression ring/ferrule seals the joint, over tightening is also bad news.

Tape and dope are for TAPERED threads, where the threads do the sealing.

5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Braided supply lines normally have a rubber gasket seal...tape would intefere. Some brands use a 'bullnose' which simulates an actual compression ring. It is for metal-to-metal seal, and again, NOT tape or dope

6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Information Technology
    THe problem with the bullnose is that it is of a much harder metal and so does not truly simulate a compression ring, which as the name implies, compresses to seal not only against the tube but also against the machined tapers. Any imperfection in the machined faces can cause a leak.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011