Tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

PJDC

Reaction score
Attempting to fill holding and pressure tanks with single pump. Fill pressure tank and excess water into holding tank. Possible?

Reach4

Reaction score
Attempting to fill holding and pressure tanks with single pump. Fill pressure tank and excess water into holding tank. Possible?

Seems doable to me, but I am not familiar with the available hardware.

There may be a standard way. Here are some concept ideas that may be flawed.

Idea 1: Suppose you had a regular setup pumping 40/60 PSI to your pressure tank and house. Then from that line you would have a 2-port (in and out) relief valve that would open at 50 PSI or above. That gets piped to a float valve that blocks the pipe when the holding tank is full. When that happens, the pressure rises to 60 PSI, and the pump shuts down. Downside would be that the holding tank would not get more water until the pump cuts on again.

Idea #2. Forget the relief valve, but throttle the flow (adjustable valve I am picturing) to the pressure tank so there is enough water to add water to the holding tank while also supplying the house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Run a pipe from the pump to both tanks. When the holding tank's float valve shuts off because it is full, then the pump will fill the pressure tank. In most cases, the holding tank will ALWAYS fill first when the pump runs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks