1. canton

canton Plumber

Someone I know wants to get rid of their tankless system and go with a standard gas hot water heater. Do you just pull the coil on the burner and put a plate on it?
  2. kordts

kordts In the Trades

No, you need to disconnect the plumbing to the tankless.
  3. aborting the tankless systems

I would like to hear more about this

from the person with the troubles..

what brand and what happenned

and why they are switching back

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

coil

If it is an immersion coil, you don't have to do anything with it other than disconnect the piping. If it is a direct fired coil then you have to remove it, and seal its mounting opening.
  5. canton

canton Plumber

Tankless

The boiler is an American Standard (very old), gas-fired forced hot water. He's running out of hot water and wants to install a 50 gallon gas-fired hot water heater. He will be replacing the boiler shortly. I suggested going with a storage tank (superstore) on a separate zone. No venting and they seem to work reasonably well. He wants to go with the separate h.w heater in case the boiler goes down.