tankless water heater

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by pman, May 14, 2008.

1. pman

pman New Member

im planning to replace my existing ng water heater with a tankless water heater. if i need to have ample hot water for 2 baths, a shower or two, and then either the washing machine or dish washer,,,whats the best way to organize that? how many tankless heaters would i need?

ive been told a 7.5 gallong rinnai is sufficient but i want to do it right the first time. is that ample? id rather be safe than sorry.

tks

pman
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Questions about tankless water heaters pops up frequently on this forum. I suppose it's to be expected, they seem like the answer to a maiden's prayer, but I would urge you to go to the archives and read the comments and experiences of others before you jump into this. Basically, these things are not a wise choice for several reasons so you should read more than the hype put out by the manufacturers.
  3. pman

pman New Member

previous threads

gary,

tks for the advice.

i did look for past threads. i dont see any. I have access to only 6 pages of conversations.

is there an archive?

what are the cons?

tks much
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It very much depends on where you live and your water quality. If the winter water temps are quite cold (lower than the nominal 50-degrees the things are often spec'ed at), then your flow rate goes way down or the temp will not get as high. Plus, they require potentially significant gas supply and flue upgrades. None of these are cheap, nor are the units or periodic maintenance.
  5. pman

pman New Member

tks

found the archives...